What is Professional Liability Insurance?
Professional liability insurance, also called Professional Indemnity Insurance, protects professional practitioners against potential negligence claims made by their patients/clients. Professional liability insurance may take on different names depending on the profession. For example, professional liability insurance in reference to the medical profession may be called Medical Malpractice.

The primary reason for professional liability coverage is that a typical general liability insurance policy will only respond to a bodily injury, property damage, personal injury or advertising injury claim. The above mentioned professional services and products can cause claims without causing a bodily injury, property damage, personal injury or advertising injury. Common reasons alleged in making claims on these policies are negligence, misrepresentation, violation of good faith and fair dealing, and inaccurate advice. Professional Liability Insurance protects you against covered claims arising from real or alleged errors or omissions, including negligence, in the course of your professional duties.


What does general liability insurance cover?
Coverage is provided for claims of bodily injury, such as slip and fall, or property damage liability on your premises or at your customer's location. 


What would having a personal Professional Liability Insurance Plan give me?
In the event of a lawsuit, your own Professional Liability Insurance policy would:

  • Provide you with an experienced attorney
  • Pay all reasonable costs incurred in the defense or investigation of a covered claim
  • Pay court costs and settlements in addition to the limits of liability


Do I need insurance if I am a student?
Liability insurance protects you from any incidents or claims that may occur as a result of your energy work. As a student or volunteer, there’s always some risk that someone with whom you interact will be dissatisfied and any dissatisfied client or the client’s family could file a claim against you. Even if you are not at fault, without Professional Liability insurance, you would have to pay for your own legal defense and any potential settlement costs. For such a small cost for coverage, it is worth the peace of mind.


Why should I consider an individual Professional Liability Insurance Plan from EMPA?
All the plans offered by EMPA are tailored specifically for Energy Medicine professionals to meet their unique needs. Obtaining this coverage through EMPA assures you that you will have service by staff who are informed and understand your professional needs. Also, EMPA will always be advocating for you while continually striving to stay at the forefront of our rapidly growing profession, bringing you tips and updates, as well as offering expanding business resources and support.


Doesn’t my employer provide me with Professional Liability coverage?
While many employers (not all) will provide some Professional Liability coverage, chances are that coverage may have some serious gaps, including:

  • Policy limits may not be high enough to protect you.
  • You may not be covered outside of the workplace, such as when you engage in volunteer or part-time work.
  • You may not be covered for suits filed after you have terminated your employment.


How do I apply?
Simply fill out our online application. After you have finished filling it out, you can choose to pay online or mail in a payment. Applications cannot be processed until payment has been received. To start your simple application process, just visit our online application.


How do I renew my policy?
Renewing your policy is quick and easy! Simply log into your member profile and select the renew option. Be sure to update any information that may have changed. Payment can be made online, or print your invoice and mail it in.


When will my insurance go into effect?
Your membership and insurance goes into effect the day it is processed, usually within 48 hours. All policies renew on April 1st.


One of the modalities I practice is not listed on your site; can I have coverage for that modality?
Our list of modalities is broad, however we realize that there may be other modalities that fall into the categories that we are able to cover. If a modality that you use in your practice is not on our list, please contact our office to see if we can cover it.


I travel a great deal; will I be covered when I am away from my office or home?
Your liability coverage is good any place you work, such as an office, on site, seminar, convention, healthcare facility, spa, home and anywhere you travel in the United States.


What do I do if I have a claim?
No one wants to have a liability claim, but they do happen, and that is one reason you have purchased liability insurance. When an incident happens that could become a claim, be sure to give prompt notice of the potential claim to the insurance carrier by contacting the EMPA office (210) 960-8807and we will forward the information to the insurance carrier. 


After I have stopped practicing, am I still covered?
As long as your policy was in effect at the time of the incident, you are covered under our policy.


If I lose my certificate of coverage, what do I do?
If you misplace your certificate of coverage, just call or email us and we will be able to mail or e-mail you a copy, free of charge. Your certificate of coverage is your proof that you have liability coverage.


Can I cancel my policy and get a refund?
Once your application has been approved we are unable to offer any refunds on your policy. The insurance issues you a certificate which is good for the entire period of time specified on it, so refunds are not available for this insurance. 


Can I change my level of coverage after I have purchased coverage?
Yes. If you have purchased either the standard or professional level of coverage and you wish to upgrade your coverage to a higher level, you may do so at anytime. You will simply be charged the difference between the coverage you have already purchased and the price of the new policy. 


How do I get my certificate of coverage?
Once your application has been approved we will e-mail your certificate to the e-mail address used on your application. If needed, we can also mail your certificate to you.


How long does it take to process my application?
Once we have received your application it may take up to a week to process and e-mail your certificate of coverage to you. Typically it takes only a few days to complete the process. If you have an urgent need to have a certificate sooner, let us know when you send in your application and we will do everything possible to expedite the process for you.


Can I add my spouse or employees to my policy?
Spouses and employees are covered for liability arising from your activities as a professional practitioner and do not need to be added separately.


I work under a business name. Is my business covered?

Your business is only covered under your professional liability policy for liabilities arising from your covered professional activities. A business is generally considered a separate entity. The only coverage provided to a separate entity under this policy would be liability arising from the covered professional activities of the individual who is insured.


Why would I add an additional insured?
A Certificate of Additional Insured specifically includes the named person or entity in the coverage for liabilities arising from the professional activities of the individual that is insured according to the terms of the written contract between the insured and the additional insured. The contract must outline the responsibilities and liabilities of each of the parties involved in order to be effective.
Adding an additional insured gives that person or entity legal claim to the benefits paid under the general liability portion of your policy to the extent they suffer a loss as a result of the practitioner's actions. This may be a temporary arrangement (workshop or event) or more permanent circumstance, such as a tenant in a commercial building adding landlord or a member of a healing clinic adding the clinic.


What can I do if I don't have certificates of training?
We understand that many modalities don’t issue certificates, or are naturally developed gifts. If you have taken a workshop in the past, any documentation proving that will be accepted. If you have any sort of class participation certificate that will be accepted as well. If you do not have this documentation, we recommend that you get in touch with the place of instruction and request documentation. If you have any further questions or concern, please feel free to contact us.


Why do you require certificates?
Our insurance provider requires us to have something on file for you for each of the modalities you are requesting coverage for. If a claim were to arise, the insurance provider would look at your file to make sure that you are competent to practice the specific modality in question.


I work out of my home. Is my home covered?
Your policy protects you wherever you practice. Typically a homeowners policy will not cover your liability for a work related incident. Even if your Homeowners policy will cover the slip and fall liability, it does not provide you professional liability.  If you have questions concerning the coverage provided by your homeowner insurance company, please contact your agent for clarification. 


Does my policy cover property in my work space?
This policy provides liability coverage only.  It does not include property coverage.


I do distance work. How is that covered?
As long as you are in the U.S. while performing distance work, you will have coverage, no matter where the client is. 

Are public speaking events and retreats covered?

Our policy covers the practitioner for their professional activities with participants during and directly related to a session, workshop or training of their approved modality. Additional activities outside of the session or training fall outside the intended scope of this policy.  This coverage is sufficient if you are speaking at someone else’s event.

The activities involved with hosting an event/ retreat/ workshop such as lodging, travel and meals, facility rental, hiring staff, etc. would fall outside the scope of the policy. Additional educational topics or activities not related to energy medicine, healing or health would also be outside the scope of the policy. If you are planning to host these types of event, a business policy is recommended to cover those aspects of your business.


I use a device in my practice. Is my device covered? EMPA professional and general liability insurance covers the insured in their work with clients within the scope of modalities stated on the website. It does not cover liability arising from the function or malfunction of a device used to effect treatment. Liability for devices used goes back to the product manufacturer of the device. Coverage for the device (property) can likely be obtained through a local property or business policy.  Your local insurer should be able assist you.

Back to Top